Over the weekend I visited a book store and stumbled across an autobiography of a Pittsburgh artist . The cover of the book stopped me in my tracks. I turned the book over to read the back cover and when I saw he was a local,  I headed for the checkout line.

Robert Qualters, Autobiographical Mythologies, by Vicky A. Clark.

University of Pittsburgh Press    copyright 2013          www.upress.pitt.edu


Mr. Qualters use of color just has my jaw dropping. How could he use so many colors in one painting and make it work?



Nick's Shoe Repair, 1984
Mixed media on paper, 22 x 30 inches



 
Kitchen Windows, from A Book of Hours, 1987
Mixed media on paper, 18 x 14 inches
 


Persephone, 2009
oil on canvas, 60 x 52 inches

  
I am greedily reading every word of this fab book.


Over the weekend I made birthday cards for my nieces, ages 7 and 9. I decided to add color in ways I haven't  done before. Not exactly show stopping, but I'm definitely starting down the color path.

Have a great day and be sure to learn more about Pittsburgh artist Robert Qualters.

Stop back soon!

Comments

  1. Looks fantastic. What complex work! I will definitely check it out. Thanks. xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts