I had hoped today we would start making costumes for Eva's Mad Hatter tea party,
but we didn't get that far.
I thought it would be a good idea to design our own fabrics first. Me and my big ideas!
A couple of years ago I did a lot of fabric dyeing and there just happened to be all the supplies we needed stashed in a cupboard just waiting to see the light of day.
Lucky for us there were several yards of PFD fabric. Prepared for Dyeing (PFD) can be found online or at your local quilt shop. Eva is drawing hearts on the PFD fabric with Caran d'Ache water soluble crayons. Next, we took a paintbrush loaded with water and wet the inside of each heart.
The water caused the black crayon to bleed. We used Rit dye to color the hearts fuchsia. I took a little powdered dye, added hot water then painted it on the fabric with a paintbrush. Since the hearts were already wet, the dye stayed mostly inside the heart.
Golden yellow Rit dye was used for the background.
Dying fabric can be messy. I used several layers heavy cardboard underneath the fabric to keep the water and dye off my worktable.
Here is how this piece started,
and this is how it finished....
Here is our finished work.
It's back down the rabbit hole tomorrow.
We are breaking out the sewing machine and getting the costumes done!