While working on the 3D wetland I was thinking about all the plants and animals that inhabit wetland areas. I was dreaming of a green spring.  In the bottom of  valley where I live, one of our state's most polluted creeks flows, the Connoquenessing Creek. A small stream boarders my property and empties into the Connoquenessing. During the spring, flooding from the creek and stream, create a wetland on a small flood plain. For me, it's time to celebrate when skunk cabbage sprouts and the peeper frog start singing. Right now, a deafening sound rises up from the valley floor  nightly and will continue until fall frosts arrive. Yes, spring is here!

Although I am enjoying the awakening of the wetland, I can't help but wonder about the health of my states waterways. I've started researching fish populations here in PA. My first attempt to produce an art piece discussing endangered fish is a woodblock print featuring shiners, or minnows.
More about this project later, for at this time it is in the beginning stages.

And, for Dizzy Dick --the Connoquenessing is a crick. Here in western PA you will find a lot of people who do not have the word "creek" in their vocabulary. Here is Dick's definition of a "crick",  a waterway that is polluted, has rusted junk/trash and cow pee. That pretty much sums up the Connoquenessing crick.

FYI, Connoquenessing means, long way straight' in an American Indian language. Which tribe, I'm not sure. Why it was given that name I'm not sure either. Western Pennsylvania is all hills, nothing is straight!

I did make it to the Art of Recycling Show. You may have read in the last post that the opening night was cancelled due to the small number of entries. When I visited the exhibit the awards had yet to be given so I can't tell you about the winners.

I took my camera but left the battery at home in the charger, ugh! I did manage to get a few photos with my cell phone. Sadly, I also forgot to write down the artists names, so I have no idea who made these pieces. The art show may be small, but the artwork is good.

 
My 3D Wetland and Lynn Radford's trashbubble mobile is in the corner.
 
 
Most of this piece is made from cardboard.





The name of this piece was Garden Flowers (I think or something close to that.) It did look like a carpet of vegetation made from plastic bags.
There were about a dozen other art pieces in the show but my pictures
didn't turn out so well.
 

Comments

  1. Your posts are always so informative. I'm really impressed by the creativity and diversity at the art show. Your photos tell that story beautifully - as does your woodcut - which I love just as it is! It has a wonderful simplicity and palette. You are really in tune with the surrounding land, so enjoy the signs of awakening as the weeks go by. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your woodcut design!!! I really enjoy how you use your creative talents to bring awareness to the environmental issues in your community. The show has some really nice pieces! I know you are thrilled to be a part of it! Congratulations to you and continuing your cause! I believe now more than ever - one piece really leads to another when making art work! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad that there were so few entries, awareness seems to be shrinking. I like your minnow wood block prints - wood blocks are so simple but can be so arresting.....xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts