Thursday, June 23, 2011

Art ??


For the June/July issue of Art in America, Rirkrit Tiravanja was asked to make art that the readers could remove from the magazine and keep.
Tiravanija is a conceptual artist who's art is considered relational.
So is his postcard sized piece with the words
"Where is Al Weiwei"   art???

I read the editor's letter explaining the removable art.
Then I read the article on Rirkrit Tiravanija. Still not getting it at all.

Next I read, also in the same issue, a piece on Al Weiwei. It turns out that Weiwei is a Chinese artist that is considered to be their Andy Warhol with a political kick. He is openly critical of the Chinese government. On April 3, as he was boarding an airplane for Hong Kong Weiwei was arrested. For now the artist is a missing Chinese dissident.

I think because China is becoming such a "global player" their human rights record has faded from our minds. I applaud Tiravanija and Art in America for bringing Al Weiwei's story to our attention.

Back to the question, is a few powerful words on a piece of paper art?
Every ad on Madison Ave. has to be high art in that case.
What and who defines art these days?????

( I will admit that half the art presented in Art in America makes my blood boil and I wonder who made the dicision to classify it as good art.
 I understand the concept of art not being just decorative, but come on.)

4 comments:

  1. Art is so subjective and what we like, we like, which is not what everyone likes. Thank goodness there is so much out there to see. I usually avoid the highbrow mags that dictate what art should be, but a story about a Chinese dissident is a good one to read. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I thought of you when I saw the new CPS self portrait challenge and wondered what you come up with? xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cool story and commentary. Perhaps a letter to the editor at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm tricky! Did I miss your name in CPS? You should have been in there ;) WAsn't it great to see Ro Bruhn, tho?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The question "what and who defines art?" was a question I asked myself many times before. But over the years, the question has shifted a bit more inward to - "are my ideas and creations good art to me?" It never fails when I see something really crazy and off the wall whether in a museum or gallery, I think to myself.. "see Hannah, your ideas are not that far-fetched. Keep going!"

    You are certainly hitting on a philosophical point here. That goes way beyond this particular political art piece. And all I can say is it's "Art for art's sake!"

    ReplyDelete